Maryport History (click here for home page)

Sea Brows The Battery now Roman Museum

Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery opened 1886 ladies on cannon now Roman Museum
Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery ladies on cannon c 1906. The Royal Naval Reserve Hall (the 'Battery') opened in 1886 for training naval reservists. It had a drill hall, office, coastguard station, and battery of three heavy guns. 200 men trained here annually - mostly local merchant seamen and fishermen. It also housed the coastguard station with John Mitchell as chief officer. BCBuilding is now the Senhouse Roman Museum

Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery now Senhouse Roman Museum

This naval gunnery training centre was built in 1885 for the Admiralty. It was used for gunnery training of the Royal Navy Artillery Reserve from 1885-1903. It was then used for training the Territorial Army Field Batteries until 1966. In 1990 it opened as Senhouse Roman Museum. The museum holds a rich collection of Roman artefacts from the fort next to which it stands. It is an unusual and perhaps unique example of this type of building and stands in a dramatic position on a cliff top site. From Historic England education andList Entry

Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery now Senhouse Roman Museum circa 1906 tinted
The Royal Naval Reserve Hall (the 'Battery') opened in 1886 for training naval reservists. It had a drill hall, office, coastguard station, and battery of three heavy guns. 200 men trained here annually - mostly local merchant seamen and fishermen. It also housed the coastguard station with John Mitchell as chief officer. BC
Maryport Royal Naval Reserve 1906 at The Battery now the Roman Museum
Maryport Royal Naval Reserve 1906 at The Battery. The Royal Naval Reserve Hall (the 'Battery') opened in 1886 for training naval reservists. It had a drill hall, office, coastguard station, and battery of three heavy guns. 200 men trained here annually - mostly local merchant seamen and fishermen. It also housed the coastguard station with John Mitchell as chief officer. BC
Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery opened 1886 ladies on cannon now Roman Museum
Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery ladies on cannon c 1906. The Royal Naval Reserve Hall (the 'Battery') opened in 1886 for training naval reservists. It had a drill hall, office, coastguard station, and battery of three heavy guns. 200 men trained here annually - mostly local merchant seamen and fishermen. It also housed the coastguard station with John Mitchell as chief officer. BCBuilding is now the Senhouse Roman Museum
Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery now Senhouse Roman Museum sepia
The Royal Naval Reserve Hall (the 'Battery') opened in 1886 for training naval reservists. It had a drill hall, office, coastguard station, and battery of three heavy guns. 200 men trained here annually - mostly local merchant seamen and fishermen. It also housed the coastguard station with John Mitchell as chief officer. BC
Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery now Senhouse Roman Museum circa 1906 bw
The Royal Naval Reserve Hall (the 'Battery') opened in 1886 for training naval reservists. It had a drill hall, office, coastguard station, and battery of three heavy guns. 200 men trained here annually - mostly local merchant seamen and fishermen. It also housed the coastguard station with John Mitchell as chief officer. BC

The building fell into disrepair and another use had to be found for it

Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery in disrepair before becoming the Senhouse Roman Museum
The building needs protected and repurposed
Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery in disrepair 2 before becoming the Senhouse Roman Museum
The building fell into disrepair

Senhouse Roman Museum

Maryport Naval Reserve Station The Battery repaired to become the Senhouse Roman Museum
The Royal Naval Reserve Hall (the 'Battery') opened in 1886 for training naval reservists. It had a drill hall, office, coastguard station, and battery of three heavy guns. 200 men trained here annually - mostly local merchant seamen and fishermen. It also housed the coastguard station with John Mitchell as chief officer. BC