Maryport History (click here for home page)

Pictures of Sailing Ships built in Maryport Names A - G

Auchencairn built at Ritsons in Maryport 1891

Auchencairn built at Ritsons in Maryport 1891
The Auchencairn, with Captain Nelson in command, built at Ritsons in Maryport 1891. was named after the Scottish village of the same name on the opposite side of the Solway Firth, where friends of the owners owned a large estate ...launched broadside into the River Ellen towed to the wet dock masted and rigged by Mr G. Monkhouse a master rigger; a small locomotive was hired for hoisting the masts and yards into position ... November 1891 we left Maryport for Cardiff in the tow of the Clydeside tug Flying Eagle … left Cardiff on November 24th, 1891 with a cargo of coal for San Francisco and made an average run to Cape Horn… The passage was made in 118 days, arriving on 21st March, 1892 ... The ship was sent on the homeward run to Stockton-on-Tees to discharge and thus ended the maiden voyage ... Text Jackson Picture Robinson p24
Auchencairn from Mighty Seas co uk
Auchencairn from Ray Lloyd in Mighty Seas co uk

The Auchencairn was built in October 1891 by Ritson & Co. at Maryport. She was a four-masted steel barque rigged with royal sails over double top- and topgallant sails. She was initially owned by her builders and was registered at Maryport. Her first commander was Capt.William Nelson, an experienced master who had previously commanded the William Ritson, and was later to command Acamas and Ladas, all built at the Ritson shipyard. 

The vessel survived a gale when under tow from her builders to Cardiff, and she made her maiden voyage from Cardiff to San Francisco, departing on the 24th Nov.1891 and arriving after a passage of 118 days. Unfortunately British vessels were unable to compete with subsidised foreign ships at this time, so the Auchencairn remained at the American port for 18 months. It was only in August 1893 that she could load a grain cargo and sail for Stockton-on-Tees. Subsequent voyages in 1893-4 were from Newcastle-upon-Tyne to Port Pirie, Australia with coal, then Newcastle, NSW, to San Francisco, also with coal. The vessel remained under the command of Capt.Nelson until May, 1897, when she discharged a grain cargo at Limerick from San Francisco. The Auchencairn was then sold out of British ownership. 

The painting shows the Auchencairn rounding Cape Horn in 1893, returning from San Francisco after her enforced stay there following her maiden voyage – photo submitted by Ray Lloyd.

Name: Auchencairn Year Built: 1891 Gross Tons: 2040 Length (feet): 287.7 Breadth (feet): 40.2 Depth (feet): 23.4 Masts: 4

Source Mighty Seas

Allerby

The Allerby was an iron barque built at Maryport by R.Ritson & Sons, launched in May 1878. Her first master was Captain M’Kenzie (see Source 1). She was owned by Ritson & Co. in her early years, but by 1890 had been sold to Greek owners.

Name: Allerby : Year Built: 1878 : Gross Tons: 388 : Length (feet) 180.6 : Breadth (feet): 26.5 : Depth (feet): 17.1 : Masts: 3

Source Mighty Seas

Barcore, at Antwerp

Barcore at Antwerp a fine and smartly kept vessel Sea Breezes July 1927
A very fine and smartly kept vessel, the Barcore, at Antwerp. From photo lent by Captain J. Garriock. Sea Breezes July 1927

Beatrice off Cape Leeuwin, on her last voyage

Beatrice off Cape Leeuwin on Melbourne to Mauritius Sea Breezes July 1927
Beatrice off Cape Leeuwin, on her last voyage—Melbourne to Mauritius. Lifting to the swell she shows a beautiful run aft. Photo sent by Mr. S. Svenson. Imagine the early equipment, perhaps a plate glass camera taking this photo. Sea Breezes July 1927

Black Prince built at Woods yard and launched on May 24th 1838

Black Prince a wooden brig 298 tons of Woods yard launched on May 24th 1838
The Black Prince built at Woods yard and launched on May 24th 1838 a wooden brig of 298 tons. The Black Prince came from the yard a year after they had completed the 113 tons "Cheshire Witch", the first steamer built at the port. She was launched on May 24, 1838 a wooden brig of 298 tons, on dimensions of 96.5 x 22.6 x 16.9 ft with one deck and break, carvel built, square stern with no galleries and a man's figure head under a standing bowsprit, and ranked as a reasonable sized vessel, as large as many regular traders to North America, and the West Indies. Source Robinson pic title page

Blackbraes - South Shields round the Horn and Patagonia with troubles in 1899

Blackbraes 50 weeks Tyne to Frisco round the Horn Sea Breezes July 1927
Blackbraes, the ship whose adventures are related in the accompanying story. The passage referred to must have been a heartbreaker. South Shields round the Horn and Patagonia with troubles.

British Yeoman at San Francisco in the early 1880's

British Yeoman at San Francisco 1881 sunk by Seeadler in 1917 Sea Breezes July 1927
British Yeoman at San Francisco in the early 80's. Note fidded royal mast, very unusual at that period. Built in 1881 she was destroyed by the raider Seeadler, in February, 1917. Photo sent by Captain A. G. Cole. Sea Breezes July 1927

Brunswick

The Brunswick was a brigantine built at Maryport in 1818 by Thomas Asbridge. She was registered at Carlisle in 1825 and Whitehaven in 1827, then Maryport. In 1840 she was still registered at Maryport and was described as a brig, owned by Capt.Joseph Fearon, her master, and others.

The Brunswick, master Fearon, was reported to be ashore at Whitehaven on the 27th December 1852, when the whole coast was “strewed with wreck”. She must have been salvaged as she appears in the 1857 Mercantile Navy List and the Maryport Shipping Register, which reports that she was converted to schooner rig in August 1862.

Name: Brunswick Year Built: 1818 Gross Tons: 106 Masts: 2 

Source Mighty Seas

Castle Holme

The Castle Holme was an iron ship built at Sunderland in September, 1875 by Bartram, Haswell & Co. She was bought by the Holme Line (Hine Brothers, of Maryport) soon after the Myrtle Holme and before they acquired the Aikshaw. The vessel was used in the trade to Tasmania and New Zealand.

In about 1880 the Castle Holme was converted to barque rig (as also was the Myrtle Holme and probably others of the fleet, to save on manning costs).

In 1908 the Castle Holme arrived at London from Hobart, and then was sold to Norwegian owners. The vessel weas renamed Ester, then Ternen in 1916 when she was sold to Danish owners. In 1821 she was sold to Swedish owners and the name was changed to Ternan. By 1924 she was registered at Karlskrona.

On the 18th December 1924 the barque stranded at Hofs Hallar in fog, whilst bound for Karlskrona from London in ballast. The wreck was broken up where it lay.

Name: Castle Holme Year Built: 1875 Gross Tons: 1042 Length (feet): 213.9 Breadth (feet): 34.5 Depth (feet): 20.7 Masts: 3 

Source Mighty Seas

Link to Peaceful Days and Good Voyages 1877 Hazel Holme Diary of Captain T W Millican

In May, 1877, I joined the barque Hazel Holme, as mate, at Swansea. where she was loading a cargo of rails for Rockhampton, Queensland. Of 105 tons register she belonged to Messrs. Hine Bros., of Maryport, who had built just a year or two before a lovely quartette of clipper vessels, which eventually became so well known in the Australian trade. I refer to the Brier HolmeCastle HolmeEden Holme, and Myrtle Holme. These, with the Robert HineAbbey Holme, and Hazel Holme, made up the crack vessels in the Holme Line fleet of sailers. 

Link to article in Sea Breezes magazine

Charles Jackson

The Charles Jackson was a barque built at Maryport by R.Ritson & Co., and launched on the 8th April 1852. She was 340 tons O.M. and was to be commanded by Capt.Metcalf. In 1865 the vessel was commanded by Capt.E.B.Penrice and was owned by George Metcalfe, registered at Maryport. In 1871 she was still registered at Maryport, and owned by T.H.Ismay & Co. By 1882 she was owned by R.Ritson & Co., her builders.

The Charles Jackson was wrecked south of Durban, South Africa, in August 1884 (see Source 6).

Name: Charles Jackson Year Built: 1852 Gross Tons: 340 Length (feet): 119.6 Breadth (feet): 24.5 Depth (feet): 17.5 Masts: 3

Source Mighty Seas

Dan Glaister

The Dan Glaister was a schooner built by William Wood & Sons at Maryport in 1851. Her first master was Capt.Dan Glaister, succeeded by his nephew Joseph Glaister in 1853. By 1857 the schooner’s registration had been transferred to Banff, Scotland.

In 1857 a Whitehaven newspaper reported that on the 20th January the Dan Glaister, Capt.Wilson, from Liverpool with salt, was ashore 2 miles N of Montrose. The crew had been taken off by lifeboat but the master had refused to leave.

The schooner’s name appeared in shipping news later in the year, so presumably she was got off without undue damage. In 1865 the Dan Glaister was still registered at Banff, noted as being owned by Jas.Wilson, shipbroker of Macduff, and under the command of Capt.Ritchie.

The Dan Glaister, belonging to the port of Macduff, was wrecked whilst carrying a cargo of fish in the week ending 12th May, 1877. All the crew were saved.

Name: Dan Glaister Year Built: 1851 Gross Tons: 77 Masts: 2

Source Mighty Seas

Cereal - the Barque Cereal

Cereal barque met her end as described in the article Sea Breezes June 1927
The barque Cereal, Captain James Ritchie, which met her end as recorded in Sea Breezes 1927

Chinese Junks in Amoy Harbour

Chinese junks in Amoy Harbour strange but sail well Sea Breezes July 1927
General view of Amoy Harbour, showing the quaint Chinese junks. Strange as they appear they can sail well. The article p55 "At Anchor in Amoy China" describes strange experiences in Hong. Sea Breezes July 1927.

Ellenbank - Maryport's first iron ship - 1,426 tons nett register built in 1885

Ellenbank first iron ship of Maryport 1885 Sea Breezes June 1927
Ship Ellenbank, 1,426 tons nett register. Built in 1885 she was the first iron ship to be constructed at Maryport. Sea Breezes June 1927

Ellenbank

The Ellenbank was an iron ship launched in September 1885 from the Maryport shipyard of R.Ritson & Co. Ltd. She was the first iron vessel built at this shipyard, and was sister ship to the Netherby, launched the following year. Like the Netherby, the Ellenbank was initially managed by her builders.

Her maiden voyage was from Maryport to Cardiff, from where she sailed, with a coal cargo, on the 25th November, reaching San Francisco after a passage of 163 days. Her master on this first voyage was Capt.Hugh McKenzie. He was succeeded for the second voyage by Capt.John Briscoe, and then the Ellenbank was sold to Liverpool owners in 1888.

The Ellenbank was wrecked at Cape Roda on the 12th November 1891.

Name: Ellenbank Year Built: 1885 Gross Tons: 1426 Length (feet): 242.5 Breadth (feet): 37.5 Depth (feet): 21.6 Masts: 3

Source Mighty Seas

Francis Watson

The Francis Watson was built by Kelsick Wood at Maryport and was launched on the 4th February 1825. She was a full-rigged ship built for Watson & Co., and she was registered at Liverpool. She was wrecked on the 13th January 1830 at Algoa Bay, after serving in the trade to India.

Name: Francis Watson Year Built: 1825 Gross Tons: 334 Masts: 3

Source Mighty Seas

Gipsey

The Gipsey was built at Maryport, in 1813, and was described as a brigantine (see Source 1). In 1840 she was owned by Joseph Cockton, who was also her master, and others.

The registry of the Gipsey at Maryport was closed in 1883, it being anotated “vessel dismasted and sold to be converted into a hulk”.

Name: Gipsey Year Built: 1813 Gross Tons: 93 Masts: 2

Source Mighty Seas