Maryport History (click here for home page)

Maps of Maryport

Flemming Square 1866

Map 1866 Flemming Square area

Maryport town street map 1863

Flemming Square was the market place, see photos on other web pages. The Butchers Market is adjacent, with apparently a passage through the Old Court House to access Flemming Square. To sustain weary shoppers, Flemming Square is surrounded by: The Wheat Sheef Inn; Pheasant Inn; Senhouse Arms Inn;  Braddyll’s Arms Inn [sic] 

Law and order were available in the Constabulary Station around the corner in Eaglesfield Street, opposite the Freemasons Hall which backed onto the Volunteer Artillery Barracks.

Schools: National School in Eaglesfield Street; British School in High Street opposite the Baptist Chapel sitting for 300 with its purpose built Sunday School, and adjacent grave yard.

Zoom into map from National Library of Scotland: https://maps.nls.uk/view/231274848 

Churches near Flemming Square 1863 NLS

Map 1863 churches near Flemming Square

Below Flemming Square and the pubs that surrounded it, were Kirkby Street (clue in its name) where there were multiple churches.

Primitive Methodist Chapel, sittings for 280 including 120 free.  to the west is an alley then the Smithy, no doubt for shoeing horses and mending tools. Next is the United Presbyterian Chapel, sittings for 460 including 60 free and in its grounds are a school and grave yard. Crossing over Crosby Street is St Patrick’s Church Roman Catholic sittings for 270 none free. Continuing to the end of Kirkby Street and perched on the slope of back brow – Brow Street, with the large octagonal Wesleyan Methodist Chapel seats for 426 including 100 free, Brow Street (aka Back Brow) (see separate web pages with pictures and text)

Zoom into map from National Library of Scotland: https://maps.nls.uk/view/231274848  

Harbour area shipyards and pubs 1863 NLS

Map 1863 harbour area shipyards and pubs

Use the National Library of Scotland online map and zoom in to the detail.  Notice the top left patent slipway with its capstan in the shipbuilding yard and nearby are three timber yards. The Custom House facing North Quay with its portico porch is still there by Strand Street.

Pubs were safe places to quench thirst when not all drinking sources were reliable; this was at a time of communal toilets and washing facilities and water sources. 

Pubs north of shore workplaces: Sportsman’s Inn & Sloop Inn, Strand Street; Hope & Anchor Inn, Strand/ North Quay; round the corner in King Street, King’s Arms Inn and opposite it the Hope and Anchor Inn which has Britannia Inn next door, and a few doors down are Cross Keys Inn backs on to Black Lion Inn on Nelson Street, oh don’t forget the Jovial Butcher Inn in King Street before continuing on Nelson Street to the far end below the brow where White Swan Inn awaits; but if you now wish to give up drink, above you teetering on the slope of Back Brow is the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel where 426 people pay their subscription, but there are 100 places free for you to seek another way.

List of pubs in 1845:   Story of Brow Street Methodist Church Zoom into maps https://maps.nls.uk/view/231274848

No Through Road! Curzon Street stops at Station Street

Maryport From Railway Over Ellen Towards The Settlement Location Map
Maryport From Railway Over Ellen Towards The Settlement Location Map. BCC

Note that Curzon Street does not extend past Station Street, and Station Street was the only way across the Ellen. The map shows building at the station, and photos on this site show the magnificent building before it was destroyed.

Note the multiple rail lines curving up towards the docks. On Castle Holme the Ropery is shown, obviously as long as the ropes needed to be for the rigging of many sailing ships being built in the many shipyards shown on the map.

Is the railway building on the bottom left corner now used as the carpet warehouse?

Castle Holme show the Ropery extending from the bank of the Ellen to Papermill Green; beside it is a shipbuilding yard, name unknown. At the top left are shipbuilding yards and though it is tempting to link them to the sideways launching, especially with the photos taken from the bank of Castle Hill, more research is needed. At Ellen Bridge “Ordinary Spring tides flow to this bridge”. Both maps show no houses south of the railway line at in 1863.

Map Maryport River Ellen only crossed by Station Street not Curzon Street 1863 click here for zoomable National Library of Scotland map 

Maryport – Cumberland XLIV.8.15 Surveyed: 1863,  Published: 1866.

This map confirms that the only crossing over the River Ellen is on Railway Street to the Railway Station, which is shown with its magnificent footprint, see pictures of its former glory. 

At the point just before the road crosses the railway, now the extended Curzon Street A596 now joins the original road.  It appears that the course of the river has moved northward at this point, has it meandered naturally or is there a forced curve into the area marked Lathe Fitz which is where Lidl now rests? The bank below Castle Hill (marked as Motte on the OS map) has not changed, but the course of the upstream part seems to have been moved away from the railway and into the Lathe Fitz area.  Comments? Furnace Mill is marked as a Corn Mill. The Old Shaft is now within a housing estate.

 Zoom into map from National Library of Scotland: https://maps.nls.uk/view/231274866