Maryport History (click here for home page)

Industry

The promenade and grassed area was once a hub of industry in Maryport

Maryport factory and chimneys on shore near gas works
Maryport factory and chimneys on shore near gas works
Maryport Shoreline From The Sea Promenade And Sea Wall Postcard
Maryport Shoreline From The Sea Promenade And Sea Wall Postcard. BCC
Maryport Shoreline From The Sea Promenade And Sea Wall Postcard
Maryport Shoreline From The Sea Promenade And Sea Wall Postcard. BCC
Maryport gas works on shore below museum location 2023 map
Maryport gas works on shore below museum location 2023 map
Maryport gas works on shore
Continuing on with Downstreet area, this time it's the old Gasworks. The water outlet cage on the sea defence wall is still there to this day.
Map NLS Maryport 1866 showing industries on the shore below Pudding Pie Hill (Tumulus) NLS 231274839 https://maps.nls.uk/view/231274839

Maryport industry on the shore below Pudding Pie Hill. click link to zoom into map. https://maps.nls.uk/view/231274839 

List from bottom of map: Friends Meeting House Seating for 430 with Grave Yard. Corn Mill powered by steam, with well in the grounds. Gas Works, the gasometer storage tanks are not immediately adjacent. Solway Foundry, Iron & Brass. Valentia Foundry, Iron & Brass. Gasometer. Unknown yard. Unknown building. A well and possible pond by the Tannery with its pits to soak the hides, and presumably empty the effluent into the sea.

Pudding Pie Hill is shown with a standing stone – what happened to this feature? When were the industrial buildings demolished?

Maryport factories on the shore gas works tannery flour mill NLS 2
Maryport factories on the shore gas works tannery flour mill NLS 2 NLS https://maps.nls.uk/view/101091529

Map shows the industries on the shoreline ie Gas Works, Old Quarry, Four Mill, Tannery. And Pudding Pie Hill , with Parade Ground marked to the south of the building that becomes the Battery, then the Senhouse Roman Museum Coastguard Station, Friends Meeting House, Watch House on the Groyne by the sea – see picture of the white painted building on the Groyne. Papermill Green is shown under Mote Hill – Castle Hill.  Curzon Street does not continue past Station Street ie it does not cross the Ellen in this map revised 1898 published 1901. Phoenix Foundry is shown at Elizabeth Dock.

Cumberland Sheet XLIV.NE Revised: 1899, Published: 1901 https://maps.nls.uk/view/101091529